Life is challenging. And chances are, it might not always be exactly what you want it to be. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be happy. One of the most valuable lessons in life is finding happiness within, no matter what is happening around you.
This morning, I was woken up 3 hours early, car-less, and cranky. My initial reaction was to be annoyed and angry. I’ll admit, I got caught up in this at first. But then, I took a step back. I had a choice of getting caught in the chaos or to find peace within my breath.
The world around you is always going to fluctuate and it won’t always go your way. So instead of focusing on what’s happens around you, focus on creating happiness within you.
Here are some tips for when your day is off to a bad start:
1. Coffee/ Treat yo self!
- If you’re anything like me, coffee almost always helps. But even if coffee isn’t your drink, take a moment to pause with something you enjoy. Whether it’s a glass of water or cup of tea, take a moment to pause, nourish your body, and enjoy something.
2. Find a place to sit for a few minutes
- This one can be tough, but it helps a lot. Sneak away from humans for a few moments. Whether you find a closet, bathroom, or place outside, sit somewhere you can let go of the rest gather your mind. Even if it’s just for a minute.
3. Give thanks
- Focusing on the negative will only make your mood worse. Rather than wasting your energy focusing on what annoys you, pause and give thanks for the many great things in your life that you often neglect. Take a moment and write down at least ten things that you are grateful for, no matter how big or small. I start every day this way and it truly helps. The more you focus on good, the more that will come.
4. Let it motivate you
- So what if your life isn’t exactly what you want? Don’t let things that annoy you make you feel stuck. Let it motivate you. Let it push you to change your current situation, to create the reality you want. If you aren’t where you want to be yet, it simply means that you are still growing. So keep going.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself. You are where you are. And chances are, you’ve already come really really far. Don’t take life so seriously. Find humor in whatever is upsetting you. There is always a reason to smile, or at least laugh at the fact that you haven’t found the reason yet!